- 1 large teaspoon piece of fresh ginger or galangal, peeled
- 16 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 L organic chicken stock
- 100g skinless, boneless chicken thighs, or fish pieces, cubed
- 100 g shiitake, oyster, or maitake mushrooms, stemmed, capped sliced
- 1 bunch of shallots, skinned and sliced
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 4 kale leaves, sliced
- 1/8 red capsicum, sliced
- 400ml organic coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1-2 tsp. raw or coconut sugar
- 3 stalks fresh lemongrass, tough outer layers removed
- 1 fresh red Chili, sliced
- Cilantro leaves with tender stems, and lime wedges (for serving)
- Using the back of a knife, gently mash lemongrass and ginger; cut lemongrass into 1-inch pieces.
- Bring lemongrass, ginger, lime leaves, /galangal, half a chili and stock to boil in a large saucepan.
- Reduce heat and simmer for approx. 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, vegetables or fish and return to a boil.
Reduce heat, add mushrooms, simmer for approx. 20–25 minutes, skimming occasionally, until meat is cooked through and the mushrooms are soft.
Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, and sugar.
Serve with fresh chili and lime wedges.